Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Carvin pumpkins...




On Sunday night the kids got to carve thier pumpkins. It is nice that we can do it a week before Halloween and not worry about the pumpkins going bad. Symen helped Garrit pick out a face and carve it. I helped (ok, did) Zane with his. The kids had fun digging out the middle and saying "Yuck!". Even though Zane would not touch it, he still had fun saying "Yuck" with the other kids.
I love Halloween and carving pumpkins. It reminds of being a little girl. It was always a big deal to go to the pumpkin lot and pick out your pumpkin. I remember going to 2 maybe even 3 lots looking for the perfect pumpkin. Then coming home and getting out the newspaper and start digging out the junk. My dad was and still is the master of jack-o-lanterns, we had so much fun coming up with face and carving them out. And of course, the best part was lighting them in the dark. I can not carve a pumpkin without thinking of my dad. Last year was the first year I did not carve a pumpkin with my dad. I miss you Dad.






Emilee drew her own face and carved it out all by herself this year. She was very excited about it.

After many failed attempts to get a picture with the kids smiling, I gave up and had the just be silly.

2 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I will be sure to have Ryan bring Maren by your house on Halloween to see the jack-o-lanterns. He is going to take her out this year!

Julie said...

leave it to Garritt to pick the pumpkin with the "long" steam, humm such a guy thing. Very nice pumpkins!